In a technical sense, accounting provides a conceptual framework for preparing financial statements and accounts. The issues which arise in accounting are related to the difficulty of establishing a true and fair value of an enterprise and its assets, the moral basis of disclosure and discretion and the standards and laws required to satisfy the political needs of investors, employees, suppliers and other stakeholders in taking decisions broadly related to the economy. In this sense, accounting is a concept – and yet it is more than this. It is also a decisive part of a mechanism and a crucially important instrument in establishing and maintaining a market-based transaction system.
Accounting measures the heartbeat of the economy !
The Master in Financial and Managerial Accounting (MA FAMA) takes an international approach to combining theory and practice in providing broad business administration skills focused on international financial reporting standards as well as on managerial accounting.
It concentrates on the role of information in a market economy, and especially its importance in developing sound financial systems. To achieve the goal of skills and expertise on the level of the individual stakeholder, the FAMA Masters Programme curriculum and content not only provides core knowledge on external and internal information systems, but also addresses some key integrative multi-disciplinary aspects. In addition, the programme includes a broad selection of electives on various aspects of management, ethics, law and politics to meet the specific knowledge needs beyond pure accounting.
In line with the developing cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam the programme is jointly offered by the IMB Institute of Management Berlin and two Vietnamese universities as :
“Study in Vietnam – Obtain a Master Degree from a German University”
The Master in Financial and Managerial Accounting can either be studied at the Banking Academy of Vietnam in Hanoi or at the Ho Chi Min City Open University.
Banking Academy of Vietnam (BAV)
The BAV, established in 1961 in Hanoi, is a state university, governed by the State Bank of Vietnam and the Ministry of Education and Training.
At present, over 20,000 students at all levels can study five training majors, from Banking and Finance to Accounting, Business Administration, Economic Information Systems, and English.
Ho Chi Min City Open University (HCMCOU)
The HCMCOU was founded in 1990 to offer a broad programme of continuing education. To respond to diverse learning needs, it provides a variety of programmes from undergraduate to postgraduate, ranging from on-site to distance learning or learning at satellite academic centres. HCMCOU runs a number of joint Master Programmes with renowned foreign universities.
The Master programme is basically divided into two parts:
- 1st study term (11 months): Foundation Course
- 2nd study term (13 months): Specialisation and Master’s Thesis
The Foundation Course enables students to extend their knowledge acquired during their undergraduate studies to develop further expertise in Financial and Managerial Accounting and related subjects.
In addition, a range of additional courses are provided by the electives and tutorials.
The specialisation builds on the Foundation Course to provide the specialised skills to meet the challenges in the chosen career sector. A case study / research project enables students to apply their new theoretical knowledge in practice. In addition to the completion of the specialisation modules, this study term is scheduled for completing the degree by submitting the Master’s Thesis and defending it in an oral exam.
The MA Financial and Managerial Accounting offers a wide range of thematic focuses.
|First Academic Year||First Academic Year|
|Advanced Financial Accounting|
|Advanced Managerial Accounting|
|International Corporate Finance|
|Data Analysis in an Accounting Context|
Business Process Management
Information Regulation and Supervision
Value Based Management
Political Economy of Modern Capitalism
Financial Risk Management
IT applications in Accounting
|Tutorial I + II|
|Second academic year|
|Special Issues of Financial Accounting|
|Special Issues of Management Accounting|
|Case Study / Research Project|
|Research Methodology Seminar|
On successful completion of the MA programme the internationally recognised degree Master of Arts (MA) will be awarded by the IMB Institute of Management Berlin at the Berlin School of Economics and Law.
The tuition fees for the programme is 8,000 US Dollars. The fees are to be paid in two instalments.
The fees include:
- All courses
- Teaching materials (books in main subjects and readers/handouts in all courses)
- Guest lectures
- Master events
- Matriculation, exam and final exam fees, service and administration costs
The fees can either be paid as a lump sum or in two instalments:
4,500 USD within 10 working days of admission to the programme
3,500 USD within 5 working days of the start of the second study year.
- A first degree in Business or Economics (minimum of 180 credit points or a four-year Bachelor).
- Applicants with a Bachelor in Social Sciences, Economics and Law may be admitted if they can demonstrate substantial practical experience and a solid academic basis in accounting.
- Students with other foreign Bachelor degrees may be admitted if they are entitled to study on a Master Programme at the Vietnamese Partner University and meet all other admission requirements
- Evidence of having successfully completed undergraduate courses in Financial Accounting and/or Managerial Accounting
- Good English language skills equivalent to a TOEFL certificate of at least ibt 64 points, cbt 180 points, IELTS (www.ielts.org) overall band score 5.5 or other equivalent certificates
- Letter of motivation with Curriculum Vitae in English
- One year of relevant professional experience preferably in close context with one of the major subjects of the study programme
- Successfully passed application interview
Based on the recommendations of the Vietnamese partners, the final decision on admissions is taken by the IMB admission committee.
Please submit your application form together with:
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Motivation letter with statement of professional goals and plans relating to specific aspects of Financial and Managerial Accounting
- Graduation Certificate and Transcript / Academic Record of Bachelor curriculum
- Certificate / letter stating your overall average grade (if not included in your graduation certificate)
- Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent)
- References indicating the type and duration of your work experience, and its relevance to the subject
- Copy of your passport
Applications can be submitted at any time until 15 September for the programme starting in December.
All applicants have to send one complete application to the chosen Vietnamese university:
Banking Academy of Vietnam
Nguyen Thi Hoai Thu, MBA
International Training and Cooperation Centre
Head Office Building
12 Chua Boc Street
District Dong Da
Ho Chi Minh City Open University
Dr. Nguyen Minh Ha
Head of Graduate School
Acting Head of Personnel Office
97 Vo Van Tan Street
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
E-Mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Short listed candidates will be invited to an interview conducted at the university where they have applied for the programme.